Until tonight, my Advanced VX always connected using a USB 2 port, without incident. Tonight it would not connect using this same port (many tries and reboots). When I plugged it into a USB 3 port, it connected right away. Is there something in the update that changed how scopes need to be connected? I am somewhat new and still not understanding why USB ports just become unusable in APT at random times.
Once my mount connected, I attempted to use PointCraft but it kept showing the message "enable tracking". I could never get the Track button to get an asterisk or a highlight when I clicked it, so it would never enable. I was not able to find anything in the user manual or elsewhere, so I was hoping there may be a simple item I am just overlooking. I also never encountered this problem before the recently installed update.
Many thanks
Aaron
Connecting and tracking issues
- Yoddha
- Site Admin
- Posts: 16270
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm
- Reputation: 833
- Location: Bulgaria
- Contact:
Hi Aaron,
APT has no control over the USB connection. The device should be recognized by Windows in order ASCOM platform to see and APT to be able to make connection.
This problem has no relation with the APT update...
Is it possible the mount to think that is in the safety limits (if such are set) and to refuse to enable tracking? Also after you have changed the USB port use Shift+Click on the Connect button and in the driver's properties change the COM port.
APT has no control over the USB connection. The device should be recognized by Windows in order ASCOM platform to see and APT to be able to make connection.
This problem has no relation with the APT update...
Is it possible the mount to think that is in the safety limits (if such are set) and to refuse to enable tracking? Also after you have changed the USB port use Shift+Click on the Connect button and in the driver's properties change the COM port.
Clear skies,
Ivo
May the weather be with you!
Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)
Ivo
May the weather be with you!
Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)
-
Linderbaum
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 pm
- Reputation: 0
Thanks, Ivo. I am confident there are no safety limits set as I have had the scope in 'extreme' positions the past 2 years without incident. Also, I tracked with this mount a year ago with APT without issue. Tracking, mount connecting, image capture, plate solving, PHD2...all of these worked fine until a year ago.
I did change the port after connecting. It worked on the 6th try and I was able to connect. I was able to track no problem until I purchased the Altair camera and my scope and mount work wonderfully with Sharpcap, BUT I really, really want to use APT and some of its great features...it has been over a year since I have been able to use it.
Can you provide insight in to how to get the tracking issue resolved once the scope connects? I searched everywhere I know and all I can find is to 'make sure the scope is connected'.
Also, I have the proper address in APT for PHD2 (127.0.0.1 and 4400) but it will not connect, so I am not able to dither either. Are my numbers correct? Is there something I may be overlooking?
I love all you do and your support....I am just so confused how APT just quit working for me a year ago and I am not able to find any solutions or anyone else that has these issues. As you know, I will do anything to use APT again....I just need some help and guidance.
I did change the port after connecting. It worked on the 6th try and I was able to connect. I was able to track no problem until I purchased the Altair camera and my scope and mount work wonderfully with Sharpcap, BUT I really, really want to use APT and some of its great features...it has been over a year since I have been able to use it.
Can you provide insight in to how to get the tracking issue resolved once the scope connects? I searched everywhere I know and all I can find is to 'make sure the scope is connected'.
Also, I have the proper address in APT for PHD2 (127.0.0.1 and 4400) but it will not connect, so I am not able to dither either. Are my numbers correct? Is there something I may be overlooking?
I love all you do and your support....I am just so confused how APT just quit working for me a year ago and I am not able to find any solutions or anyone else that has these issues. As you know, I will do anything to use APT again....I just need some help and guidance.
- Yoddha
- Site Admin
- Posts: 16270
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm
- Reputation: 833
- Location: Bulgaria
- Contact:
Hi Aaron,
Thank you for your kind words!
APT has no very special code for tracking enabling. It calls the driver to enable it, in case of failure it will make another try. By unknow reason the driver doesn't accept it.
Do you start APT using "Run As Administrator"? If yes start PHD2 by the same way, this will resolve the connection problem. Maybe this will fix the mount problems too? If the two programs are using different rights it is not possible to share the connection nicely...
Thank you for your kind words!
APT has no very special code for tracking enabling. It calls the driver to enable it, in case of failure it will make another try. By unknow reason the driver doesn't accept it.
Do you start APT using "Run As Administrator"? If yes start PHD2 by the same way, this will resolve the connection problem. Maybe this will fix the mount problems too? If the two programs are using different rights it is not possible to share the connection nicely...
Clear skies,
Ivo
May the weather be with you!
Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)
Ivo
May the weather be with you!
Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)




