Orion skyview pro tracking stops

Discussions and support related to telescopes control
Post Reply
jemarcks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Reputation: 0

Hello.
I am new and have a Orion Skyview Pro goto mount. When slewing to a target it will then track the target for a few min and then tracking stops and the "track" button goes dark. I have selected ASCOM EQ5/6 as the mount time as I cant find one for mine. I assume they are compatible but want to confirm.

Any ideas?
thanks!
jeff
User avatar
Yoddha
Site Admin
Posts: 16270
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm
Reputation: 833
Location: Bulgaria
Contact:

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to the forum!

The behavior you are describing is not an APT logic. It looks like the driver reports that the mount is not tracking and this is the reason the "Track" button to get in "unchecked" state.

Do you see a dialog box of the mount driver? If yes, what it reports after the GoTo move? Does it shows tracking?
Clear skies,
Ivo

May the weather be with you!

Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)
JST200
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:43 am
Reputation: 493
Location: UK

Hi Jeff,

The good news is that the Orion Sky Pro mount is supported by EQMOD/EQASCOM (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/e ... -a-pc.html. You have also selected the right driver (EQMOD EQASCOM HEQ5/6) as this is the only driver provided by EQMOD and supports all the mounts.

The screen shot below shows the mount driver dialogue box Ivo means, and I've highlighted the tracking State indicators ( don't worry that it says EQMOD Simulator at the top. It's identical to the real mount driver).
Capture.JPG

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jemarcks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Reputation: 0

Hi Jim.
Good to confirm the Orion Skyview Pro is ASCOM compatible. Whew.
Tonight I setup in the garage to test the tracking (since its cloudy) and just told APT to slew to M45. it did ;) and then started tracking... i let it run for a while and then noticed that it has stopped tracking. no messages in the APT log box. Is there another log file that might show whats happening. I can hear the driver motors when its tracking.

I assume that its not normal to just stop. btw, I didnt have PHD2 running. Just EQMOD/EQASCOM and APT. I would expect it to continue to track until a limit is hit or I park the mount. is that correct?

thanks!
jeff
JST200
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:43 am
Reputation: 493
Location: UK

Hi Jeff,

Yes, once the mount is told to start tracking it should just continue, until you stop it, it rearches an EQMOD Mount Limit set by you or it crashes into the pier.

What I would do is remove APT from the equation for now. So start EQMOD/EQASCOM (Windows Start Menu > EQMOD > Toolbox > ASCOM Connect). Using the EQMOD Panel > NSEW buttons slew the mount to anywhere and then click the EQMOD > Track Rate > Star button to start tracking. Then wait an see if the mount stops tracking.

You don't say whether the EQMOD > Track Rate shows the mount as Tracking or not when you notice that it's stopped. This would be useful to know.

As far as I am aware, once EQMOD has told the mount to track, then it is the mount's onboard controller that controls the actual tracking. EQMOD only monitors the position of the mount. If I'm right, then that would suggest that it is the mount itself that is stopping the mount. :cry:

My final suggestion is that if the problem persists, with only EQMOD/EQASCOM connected to you mount (i.e. no APT, Stellarium or anything else), then I would raise a post in the EQMOD forum (https://groups.io/g/EQMOD/topics), where someone who has your mount should be able to provide you better focused support.

Cheers, Jim
jemarcks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Reputation: 0

Jim,
Yes, EQMOD shows the mount tracking or stopped.
I will try EQMOD only tonight in the garage (still cloudy until saturday).
Thanks for the help!
jeff
jemarcks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Reputation: 0

I found the solution thanks to the quick replies on the EQMOD forum.

The fix was to turn off the Mount limits in EQMOD. (uncheck the box)

Thanks to everyone who helped!
Post Reply