paps problem

Discussions and support related to telescopes control
Post Reply
ade51
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Reputation: 0

I have always used the QHY Polemaster for polar alignment, but I thought I would give APT's paps a go. Using my 480mm refractor and QHY268m it worked well and I had much less guiding input than with the polemaster.

I then tried it with my altair astro RC8 and again it worked fine, or so it seemed. Every time the Dec axis has been offset by about 2 arc sec or more. Guiding was OK, but the internet seems to say it is caused by polar misaligment.

The mount is a Skywatcher EQ6-R pro so the scope and camera are well below the maximum payload.

Am I missing something? I wondered if perhaps 1600mm focal length was too much for paps, but then surely it would struggle to platesolve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony
ade51
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Reputation: 0

A bit more information. Although paps went through the motions as if it was satisfactorily doing polar alignment. It was degrees out in both RA and DEC.

Am I asking too much to expect paps to work with a long focal length scope?
User avatar
Yoddha
Site Admin
Posts: 16269
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm
Reputation: 833
Location: Bulgaria
Contact:

Hi Tony,

Which version number of APT do you use? Could you try with the 4.74?
Clear skies,
Ivo

May the weather be with you!

Astro Photography Tool (APT v4.80) - The Imaging Catalyst
My images (6 AAPODs, 1 Published)
ade51
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Reputation: 0

hi Ivo

I was initially using 4.70 and changed last night to 4.74. It did not seem to make any difference to the result.

Tony
Post Reply